As you might be aware, there is presently an issue on the SL grid with a product called RedZone.
Last week Linden Lab made a change to the Community Standards which affects the use of certain tools that have been used on the grid recently by third parties in order to make public the alts of each individual.
For your convenience, we want to inform you about the following links, and to inform you about our policy on RedZone and similar tools, and provide you with the relevant links and information that are important about this topic.
As for our position on RedZone, it is as follows:
- We do not use or allow the use of RedZone or other spyware on our Estates and parcels
- We support the right of our customers to have their privacy remain intact
- We respect the SL Terms of Service
Here are some of the things we are doing:
- We are turning off media feeds on our parcels until an official fix comes to the viewers
- We have added statements to our land convenants stating explicitly that use of RedZone and like products are prohibited on our parcels
- We are prepared to ban and AR anyone caught using HUD versions of these tools on our parcels
- We have voted for the JIRA that calls for Linden Lab to fix this security hole. The JIRA on the official Second Life website https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-24746?
- You can find more info on how to protect your privacy by reading this thread at the SLU Forum http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/general-sl-discussion/56056-notes-zf-redzone-disclosure-secondlife.html
Please feel free to inform us if you encounter any of this activity on land that we own.
For your convenience, we have included the links and relevant sections of the TOS:
Residents are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about your fellow Residents without their consent — including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile — is not allowed. Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants’ consent are all prohibited.
As a reminder, the Community Standards defined by Linden Lab are a part of the Second Life TOS (Terms of Service):
8. CONDUCT BY USERS OF SECOND LIFE
8.1 You agree to abide by certain rules of conduct, including the Community Standards and other rules prohibiting illegal and other practices that Linden Lab deems harmful. You agree to read and comply with the Community Standards posted on the applicable areas of the Websites.
A deep discussion of this issue can be found here.
If you have any questions, contact Alice Klinger or Allison Selene inside Second Life, or send us an email by using our contact page.
Search the Site
- New from Alli&Ali Designs March 7 2014 http://t.co/WSWGMbhbI0
- RT @chuckiem: Apple Announces CarPlay Infotainment System: Apple has announced CarPlay, an in-car infotainment system that l... http://t.co…
- RT @HarperBeresford: replurks Daniel Voyager: says 9am Pacific Time on Wednesday 5th March 2014 there will be a big announcement re... http…
- New from Alli&Ali Designs – Feb 28 2014 http://t.co/goSrvtUqGr